7 Ways to be Happier at Work.
Whether we like it or not, work is a big part of our lives. Some people have the privilege of getting paid to do what they love, but many of us end up working a job that we don’t really like, just to make ends meet. Even if you are able to chose the type of work you like to do, there can be days that it still feels like drudgery.
So how can we be happy at work? Especially if we are working a job that we don’t really like? Is it possible?
Yes, it’s possible! Here are a few ideas to help you be happier at work:
1) Start your day out right. Don’t rush out of the house unprepared and feeling hurried in the morning. Give yourself enough time for a relaxing morning routine that will make you feel good about the day. Sip your coffee, do meditation, make time to exercise, read an inspirational book, eat a good breakfast. Do whatever makes you happy before you get to work.
2) Personalize your work environment. Of course this isn’t possible for everyone, depending on the type of work you do. But if you can, make your work space look like a happy place. Display pictures of vacation with your children or grandchildren. Find inspirational quotes to hang on the wall. Use bright colors to decorate - or pastels - or any color other than the drab grey that adorns so many offices!
3) Make friends. Personal relationships and connections with others brings happiness. Make friends with your co-workers, with the barista who sells you coffee each morning, with the janitor that cleans the building. As you reach out to others and make friends, you will find yourself looking forward to the workday so that you can see them again!
4) Help others. Studies have been done proving that people who take time to help others are happier overall. Helping others takes your mind off of your own problems, makes you feel good about yourself, and builds friendships with other people. All of those things will increase your happiness! In addition, when you help others, they are more likely to help you - making you even happier.
5) Take smart breaks. When you have break time, use it wisely. Do something that will make you feel good and give your day a happiness-boost. For each person, it may be something different - you can meet a friend for lunch, take a walk around the park, indulge at your favorite restaurant, or watch a humorous video. If you chose in advance how you’re going to enjoy your breaks, it will give you something to look forward to as you go about your work.
6) Take off the pressure. It’s already been proven that money doesn’t bring happiness. How much money do you really need to live comfortably? Consider working less hours if you can afford it, to reduce the pressure and make work more enjoyable.
7) Don’t focus on the things that are out of your control. Instead, ask yourself, “What CAN I control to make my work day better?” First and most important is your own positive attitude!
Increasing your happiness at work will increase your productivity and also increase your happiness in all areas of life. You won’t regret making changes and choices to make your work a happier place!